Friday, April 9, 2010

Sarah Green Artist in Residence

Tell us about yourself, how did you become a jeweller? I started learning to make jewellery when I was around the age of 15 through a night course with WEA.  After finding the course inspirational I did some work experience with a family friend: Adelaide jeweller John Karran, then fell into a visual arts and contemporary craft certificate at O'Halloran Hill Tafe after finishing school.  After studying for one year I moved to Sydney to study Jewellery and Object Design at the Enmore Design Centre Tafe and learnt more by working part time for Adina Jozsef.  I started my own business late last year and finished studying in December.  

How would you describe your work- material and processes? Are there any specific themes that run through your practice? I think all practitioners find it hard to describe their work in words, at the moment I'm still defining my aesthetic.  I work mostly in silver, with the inclusion of other materials like gold (when I can!), glass, wood, silk thread and the odd found object or material.  My favourite process is carving: wood or wax, but also believe in old school manufacturing processes like sawing, filing, sanding, polishing.  At the moment the main themes I'm exploring through my work are beauty, science and knowledge of the world around us. 

Where do you go, look, research for inspiration? Inspiration tends to strike me when I'm in periods of change, or when one part of my brain is occupied with something else like everyday tasks.  I also find listening to music, reading magazines and books, looking around at trees and things on the ground when walking places and my brother's talent writing songs inspirational. 
 
You recently finished your course at Enmore TAFE, NSW what did you find most rewarding of your experiences studying there? The whole process of studying at the Design Centre Enmore was rewarding, tough at times, but everything that happened in the course has lead me to where I am now.  The teachers, who are successful practitioners in their own right from around the world, pushed me to find the designer within and develop my making skills further.  I especially found the comprehensive and workshop set up and friendships formed with classmates rewarding.   


What are your main objectives while working at JamFactory? While at the JamFactory i'm making a production range of silver jewellery to sell to the public, but that's mostly an excuse for me to hang around the Jam Factory getting to know the place and the people.  The first contemporary jewellery exhibition I went to was at the Jam Factory so I think it's fitting that I come back here to start my career!